“WE LIVE ON A PLANET CALLED EARTH, AND IT´S OUR MISSION TO DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO PROTECT ITS PEOPLE AND PRESERVE ITS ENVIRONMENT.”
At Maaji, we believe in and practice doing the right thing. When it comes to Sustainability, that means practicing inclusion, transparency, ethical production, embracing diversity, and doing more to minimize our environmental footprint through our sustainable practices.
Please join us in this journey and learn as we learn!
From the founding of Maaji, we've always felt it was important to give back to the community and support the environment; whether it was planting trees or conducting beach clean-ups, we've always believed in sustainability. Some of those efforts include:
WE RECOGNIZE WE MUST DO MORE. WE ARE MAKING SUSTANABILITY NOT AN INDEPENDENT EFFORT, BUT ONE THAT IS FULLY INTEGRATED WITH HOW WE THINK AND ACT .
ARE WE GOING
We are committed to a path of cultural and social change that contributes to a more conscious world. The first step in this journey is for Maaji to become a certified B Corp, the gold standard in sustainability certification.
The journey to becoming a B Corporation is a challenging one, but we believe one that we must take. We will provide quarterly updates of both our successes and learnings. We hope you will join us.
WE ARE BUILDING CLEAR AND MEASURABLE SDGs
We’ve aligned our goals with those agreed to by
the United Nations. Our focus will be on:
WE ARE FOCUSED ON THE FOLLOWING KEY SUSTAINABILITY PILLARS : ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL, AND GOVERNANCE ESG STANDARD.
• We will be updating our corporate carbon footprint analysis, including scope 1, 2, and 3.
• We are designing a strategy to mitigate and compensate our environmental impact.
• We are focused on mitigating our impact on raw materials by developing and implementing non virgin materials.
• We are working on reducing the impact of our packaging materials.
• We are searching for innovative ways to transform our textile waste specialized in synthetics with spandex.
There are many other efforts we are undertaking, and we look forward to sharing them with you in the very near future, because one of our main pillars is transparency. For now, we are focused on gathering the data we need and conducting the analysis required to truly make a measurable impact in our sustainability journey.
WE BELIEVE IN AND LIVE
BY OUR CODE OF ETHICS
OUR EMPLOYEE MANUAL OR CODE OF CONDUCT
Code of ethics:
We have a code of ethics and of conduct that applies to relationships with all our stakeholders. The positive impact at Maaji is part of the commitment to ethical conduct and responsible for the development of our activities and the benefit of all stakeholders, as part inseparable from our business model.
We believe in an open and fair global marketplace, and we recognize that we obtain our competitive advantage by offering excellent products and experiences, but never through practices illegal or unethical businesses.
We promote animal welfare.
We promote and respect diversity, human rights in all their manifestations:
• In the prohibition of child labor.
• On freedom of association and expression.
• The prohibition of discrimination based on race, physical disability, illness, religion, sexual orientation, political opinion, age, nationality, or gender.
• We do not tolerate forced labor, physical or psychological abuse, or sexual abuse.
• We comply with the strictest standards of health and safety to protect the well-being of all in our facilities.
• We promote and support people's careers, with fair compensation, fostering their personal and professional development.
• We promote training and continuous development.
• We encourage participation in the community.
• We respect and value respect for intellectual property.
PRODUCT & MATERIALS
We are committed to the innovation and investigation of new materials, processes, and development of eco-friendlier products. This led us to create E.W.: Earth Warriors.
E.W. are collections increasingly more environmentally responsible. Our first E.W. collections were launched in 2020; they included swimwear, beachwear, and activewear.SHOP OUR SUSTAINABLE COLLECTIONS
90% of our fabrics are made by local suppliers.
Our swimwear fabrics are not great contributors to microplastics, even when being synthetic fibers.
These are the fibers we use:
• EcoveroTM: up to 50% lower emissions & water impact compared to generic viscose. These fabrics are produced using renewable wood pulp. Certified from sustainable sources.
• Recycled polyester: from recycled plastic bottles.
• Digital Printing: process with low water consumption.
• RECYCLED NYLON: FROM NYLON PRODUCTION WASTE.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines UPCYCLING as “to recycle (something) in such a way that the resulting product is of a higher value than the original item : to create an object of greater value from (a discarded object of lesser value).
”At Maaji, we believe UPCYCLING gives us the opportunity to apply our creativity and innovation to take advantage of residual materials and collaborate with talent from around the world to create new and fresh collections from materials that were thought to be old or obsolete.
We apply this concept to different lines, upcycling deadstock fabrics into swimwear linings, accessories, pajamas, and more.
Maaji’s 2021 Upcycling Series 1 is just the beginning of our series of upcycling projects. If you’re interested in a sustainability collaboration please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since Maaji started, we always had a conscious mindset, and we didn't want to waste fabrics. From that moment, the reversible and 4-way styles were born: Products that count by more than 1, which reduces individual items' production, resulting in less CO2 emissions, water, and energy consumption. Learn More about reversible & 4-ways.
We are dedicated to having the best working conditions and sharing our Maajic to help our community.
WHO ARE THE MAAJIC MAKERS
The +300 souls that join creative and productive forces every day to make and deliver Maajic!
WHAT MAKES MAAJI MAAJICAL
Maaji is a Women-Founded and Owned Company.
70% of our employees and 55% of managers are filled by women.
In Colombia, workers have access to health and pension funds 13 month-worth salaries a year, a maximum of 48 working hours a week, extra hour payment, maternity leave. Additional to that, Maaji provides its employees with a special benefit program. e.g. life insurance.
The employees who are within our supply and logistics
center make the real Maajic happen!
These employees, part of our supply chain and logistics team, are who really make the Maajic Happen! For our warehouse employees, we provide a benefit program, some benefits include meals and transportation provided by Maaji.
For our contractor workers, outside of Maaji, we work only with companies that are formally incorporated and provide benefits to employees, and assure labor regulations and safety at work. Additionally, they must be aligned to our code of ethics.
• Higher than market rate salaries
• Health insurance and other benefits
• Transportation to and from work
• Meals at a 95% discount
The following are examples of the community
support we’ve provided over the years.
Maaji supports Fucai, a Colombian Foundation, helping communities in La Guajira which have no other sources of water.
Maaji supports this Dance School that helps neighborhoods who are overcome with poverty and violence.
Maaji donates socks, materials, clothes and collaborates with this foundation who offers care to more than 2,200 children.
Partnered to create workshops to help this creative foundation work with autistic people and people with down syndrome.
Donated to health care and essential workers.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU ARE THINKING,
PLEASE SEND YOUR COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS TO